Warning: This post contains spoilers. I recommend reading after you’ve watched the episode!
All the remaining queens returned to the workroom still shocked from Ru’s surprise decision of the double elimination of Vivienne Pinay and Honey Mahogany. Roxxxy Andrews mentioned that it’s lit a fire under her ass so I’m expecting her to step her game up! Jade Jolie thought it was really bitchy of Alyssa Edwards for calling her out on the main stage in front of the judges which I agree with seeing as she wasn’t present to defend herself.
Anyway, this week’s mini-challenge was introduced by RuPaul himself and Ian Drew who was wearing the exact same outfit; a little hint! The queens must transform a bunch of ugly ‘snugglers’ (I guess they’re kinda like blankets with arms *vom*) into gowns that are worthy of the red carpet. The winners were Detox, Roxxxy and Alyssa. I personally was expecting Coco Montrese to have been up there because I thought she looked sickening!
This week’s main challenge was what all Drag Race fans have been waiting for… the legendary SNATCH GAME! This game involves each queen to impersonate a celebrity and to adopt their complete persona (always with a comedic twist of course) and to take part in a ‘fill in the blank’-style game show, presented by none other than RuPaul!
- Jinkx Monsoon decided to play as Little Edie and she got the look and persona totally on point. Throughout the Snatch Game, her character was consistent and she never failed to make us laugh and gag! I thought she was hilarious and reminded me a lot of Pandora Boxx when she pulled off Carol Channing in season 2.
- Jade Jolie was Taylor Swift and although her comedy was a little dry and she didn’t stick out enough for me, her aesthetic was very well thought out and her mannerisms were spotless! I did think, overall, she was fairly flat.
- Alaska bravely decided upon Lady Bunny and she was perfect! Michelle Visage read her for her voice but I honestly didn’t see a thing wrong with it. Alaska pulled off Bunny’s appearance hilariously (with the massive blonde hair that Alaska isn’t shy of anyway) and she werked her comedy flawlessly! Lady Bunny would have been proud and loved every minute of it!
- Detox attempted to do Ke$ha which flopped big time. She did kinda get the visual style right but I don’t think Ke$ha is a naturally funny person. I think Detox knew she wasn’t impressing the judges so that’s why she did the ‘peeing on the floor’ stunt which I thought was disgusting, inappropriate and desperate.
- Coco Montrese did a fabulous job at impersonating Janet Jackson and although there wasn’t much comedy to her performance, she did look absolutely stunning and much like a long-lost Jackson sibling! The nose was hilariously on point and the voice and overall presentation was brilliant.
- Alyssa Edwards admited she wasn’t good at celebrity impersonations and it showed. She tried really hard to pull off Katy Perry but none of it worked. I suggest she does something like Sid The Sloth next time. Ru even tried setting up jokes for her but she just failed. Thank god she had immunity this week!
- Ivy Winters aimed for Marilyn Monroe but it went totally dry and she didn’t capture the essence of her at all. I thought she looked kinda creepy and cracked out. She was fairly glamorous though she didn’t even understand a JFK joke which made her look really unprofessional.
- Lineysha Sparx… girl… she was a mess. I’m sorry but she did Celia Cruz and it was just awful. Her presentation was sloppy and awkward. That’s all.
- Roxxxy Andrews, finally, impersonated Tamar Braxton and I think she did really well! She was funny and her character was consistent right the way through and she also looked stunning as per usual!
Back in the workroom, Jade and Alyssa argued and there was shade being throw about their outfits but I think deep down Jade was still hung up about being called out on stage last week by Alyssa. I think Jade is allowed to still be hung up seeing as she wasn’t on the stage to actually defend herself. Then Alyssa and Coco start on each other again (it’s the same old drama from previous weeks) just when I think it’s over!
On the main stage, RuPaul, Michelle Visage and Santino Rice were joined by Downtown Julie Brown and Julie Brown! The girls then individually walk the runway with their #DeadliestCatch theme looks. My top three favourite runway presentations this week were: Alyssa Edwards, Jinkx Monsoon and Alaska!
After the safe girls were asked to go to the Interior Illusions lounge, Detox, Ivy, Jinkx, Roxxxy and Alaska remained on stage as they were the best and worst of the week. Detox was read for her jellyfish outfit which I thought was cute, but I won’t forgive her for her bad Ke$ha presentation! Ivy was told that Marilyn had been done to death and apparently Jinkx looked ‘pedestrian’ on the main stage (no, honey). Roxxxy and Alaska both had good reviews, however Michelle picked on Alaska for her voice. Again, disagree.
Jinkx was announced as the winner of the Snatch Game and I’m really please for her! She did a really great job and I hope the other girls respect her talents a lot more now. Ru also reveals that Lineysha and Detox were the bottom two of the week and I fully agree with her choice. I was glad Alaska was safe, though I was expecting her to be a winner!
Lineysha and Detox lip-synced to Cher – Take Me Home and it was honestly the best performance/battle of this season by far! It was high energy and the judges were loving it. They were both totally sickening and I was actually surprised to see Lineysha pulling it out and keeping up with Detox! Everyone knows Detox has huge lip-syncing talents so it was no surprise that RuPaul asked her to stay and for Lineysha to leave!
This was a fabulous episode and I’m glad about the end result!
- RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 5 Episode 4: ‘Black Swan (Why It Gotta Be Black?)’ Review (rupaulsdragrace.wordpress.com)
- RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 5 Episode 3: ‘Draggle Rock’ Review (rupaulsdragrace.wordpress.com)
- RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 5 Episode 2: ‘Lip Synch Extravaganza Eleganza’ Review (rupaulsdragrace.wordpress.com)